The course was a lot harder than it appeared at first glance. Driving the route the day before the hills seemed easy. Running them, however, was another story. It wasn't the grade so much as the length and placement that caused the trouble. From mile 8 to mile 11 it seemed that we were on a consistent uphill climb and by the end of the race I was in a lot of pain. Most of that can be attributed to my poor training leading up to the race but I think a lot of it had to do with the course itself. I finished with a respectable time of 2 hours 3 minutes.
Katie did very well though I think she's decided this was her first and last half marathon. We ran the first mile together around the RBC center along with some friends of ours. Around the 1.5 mile marker we spread out a bit. After I finished I ran back a bit to catch up to Katie and ran the last .25 or so with her. She said she started crying around mile 12--a mixture of pain, relief, excitement and missing her grandmother-- and she started crying harder when she saw me. I let her finish on her own and gave her a big hug after she crossed the finish line. She finished with an amazing time of 2 hours 35 minutes.
This picture sums up the feeling after we all finished. If Katie looks a little funny it's because she just realized how wet the grass was and that it probably wasn't the best spot to lay out.
While I physically felt better after the City of Oaks back in November, I felt mentally and emotionally different after this race. Being with friends and running with my wonderful, beautiful wife made it that way. I look forward to running 5Ks and 10Ks with Katie as she's decided that's where she'd like to spend her efforts. I could not be more proud of her and all that she accomplished. Thanks to those of you who supported our efforts through thoughts, prayers or donations to the American Cancer Society. We couldn't have done it without you!
Ryan


No comments:
Post a Comment