Friday, August 27, 2010

Here goes nothing...

Day 1 (Yesterday):
4.14 miles through my neighborhood.  No dogs.

I wanted to start my streak on a strong note with just the right music and just the right tempo.  About halfway through the music was too loud and hard and the tempo was a bit more than I wanted.  I've run the same route 5 or 6 times without issue but Beloved's driving drums and wall of guitars amped up my pace to the point where I had to rein it back in.  Though I've almost always run with music of some sort, I'm beginning to see the benefits of keeping it simple.  My hands are free if I trip. My ears are tuned in to the people and animals around me--some friendly, some not. My thoughts are clearer and I'm more in tune to my mind when it has something particularly insightful to say.  It doesn't happen all that often so it's good to catch it when I can.

If you've never heard of streak running before: "the official definition of a running streak, as adopted by the United States Running Streak Association, Inc., is to run at least one continuous mile within each calendar day under one's own body power (without the utilization of any type of health or mechanical aid other than prosthetic devices)." (Thanks USRSA)

More than anything else this endeavor is an effort to create some accountability and motivation: I'll stay physically active through the running and mentally active through the writing.  While I've done both sporadically over the years, I'm looking forward to the development this discipline will bring.  Hopefully I'll inspire someone else at the same time, much like Nancy West did for me. (Thanks Dick Gordon)

See you tomorrow...

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment