1 mile and some change. Little League World Series on the TV. Hawaii vs. Georgia.
After yesterday's kick-off run I was worried about today. My right hip-flexor was sore yesterday and my back was/is aching from X Train on Wednesday. Thankfully today's mile on the treadmill went off without a hitch.
The Little League World Series game was interesting in the way it's interesting to watch a highly skilled predatory animal devour something helpless. Hawaii hammered in run after run and Georgia looked like they just wanted to go home. Eventually I looked at the waterfall out the window instead.
I have a hard time relating to the kids and parents that get involved in the highest level of sport at a young age. It looks so stressful, like all the fun's been sucked out and replaced with unrealistic expectations and crushing consequences. To be fair, I was never a competitive kid. I played a few years of recreational league soccer through middle and high school but was never interested in practicing outside of the 1 or 2 times per week the team met on some scrubby field in North Raleigh. I played my heart out each game but after every game I left my drive on the field.
I think that's what intrigues me most about keeping up this streak: I have a drive, something internal that's pushing me forward. I'm genuinely excited about running and I can't wait for the next mile. We'll see how long this honeymoon stage lasts but I fell really good about it so far and that's got to account for something.
The real test will come Sunday morning.
One last thing: my idea inspired someone else to join me. Glenn, a member at the Y, decided to start his streak today. A community--large or small--could be really helpful as the streak moves from days, to weeks, to months, to years. Want to join us?
See you tomorrow...
Ryan
No comments:
Post a Comment