Day 37: 1 mile.
Day 38: 1 mile.
Day 39: 7 miles.
Day 40: 1 mile.
It seems that the closer I get to running my first half-marathon the busier I become. Today calls for 4.5 miles and I'm not sure when I'll be able to get it in. The weather is beautiful but I'm going to have to settle for running inside. This weekend Katie and I will celebrate our first year of marriage up in the mountains and I'll be running 8 miles at some point. It's not the running I'm concerned with, it's the schedule.
Even as I write this a part of my brain screams at me: "THESE ARE NOT REAL PROBLEMS YOU DOOF! People are homeless, jobless and overweight and you're complaining that you can't find the time to run!" I appreciate the brutual honesty of this voice but I wish it was a bit quieter when it goes off.
But that voice is right. Every day I pass people on the side of the road asking for help and I'm sure I pass by hundreds more that need help but won't ask. This is especially on my mind as our WeBuildPeople campaign gets started this year. My team has a goal of sending 55 kids to summer camp this year. We need 55 people to donate $200 each and 55 kids' lives will change. Seems simple enough and it is, as long as we share the story loud enough so that others can hear it.
So for now the voice quiets down. Tomorrow morning it will have the same rant. I'm not naive enough to think that someday that voice will cease to exist because I've become so pious, but I do hope that I can work to quiet it down with every passing day, week, month and year.
What does your voice yell at you?
Ryan
No comments:
Post a Comment