June 2nd #Trust30 prompt:
One Strong Belief by Buster Benson
It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude. - Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance
The world is powered by passionate people, powerful ideas, and fearless action. What’s one strong belief you possess that isn’t shared by your closest friends or family? What inspires this belief, and what have you done to actively live it?
(Author: Buster Benson)
I'm finding it hard to think of a belief not shared by my closest friends and family as I think, almost by definition, we need to share a common understanding or our relationships would fade. Differences exist from person to person and there are friends I've known for more than a decade and we've invariably changed over time and our personal beliefs developed independently of one another in varying degrees.
In an effort to focus my thoughts and answer the prompt--rather than BSing my way through it like an essay from school--I'll go with my religious/spiritual beliefs. I consider myself a Christian but that tells you nothing about the structure of my beliefs and the opinions I hold. If I had all day to write I might begin to explain them all but I do not have the luxury of time and so you'll have to go without.
Katie and I began attending the young adult Bible study at our church with regularity in the past two months and over that time we've been reading two(1,2) challenging books that both address some of the struggles I've had over the years in reconciling my personal faith and understanding with that of the church, wherever that may be and whatever denomination I happened to be involved in. I like Brian McLaren's book the best right now and I'd read A Generous Orthodoxy a few years ago so I might be biased.
So, in answer to the prompt, my spiritual beliefs are personal and therefore not shared (completely) by my closest friends and family. I'm inspired by those Christians who are wiser (though not always older) than I am and who've seen and experienced more. I'm inspired by their example and the way they live out their faith in the world. I feel that my work is the largest way I live out my beliefs though I am always searching for more authentic ways to live out the life I've been called to lead.
With the lid off the box and the can of worms formally opened, we'll save some of this for another day.
Happy Friday.
Ryan

No comments:
Post a Comment