Thursday, September 2, 2010

Great Expectations

Day 7: About 1.5 miles.  Sunny and clear but hotter than expected.


I set high expectations.  I want epiphanies every time I tie up my shoes and head out the door.  I turn off the music to better hear my own thoughts.  My thoughts, however, rarely cooperate with illuminating and clear sound bites.  Instead a mix of worries, observations and random associations burbles up and it becomes impossible to hear anything approximating Truth. Lately I've taken to feverishly hoping for messages from God on my runs.  I feel like I need answers and I would like them sooner, rather than later.  My inner monologue currently drowns out any messages from the Divine.

Two insights broke through the chatter today:

1) Sometimes a run is just a run.  There may not be any answers hiding around corners and in the cracks on the sidewalk.
2) I will not ever eat peanut butter in large quantities before a run ever again.  No matter how hungry I am I will not do it.

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment