Friday, September 17, 2010

More on the Half Marathon

Day 22: 4 miles.

Running's taken on a different feel now that I'm working towards a goal. Each time out requires more of my attention than in previous runs. In order to build up my stamina I need to push myself and find longer routes. This forces me to discover new routes, which is good, but it also takes some of the freedom away from my runs. If it weren't for the purpose of the half marathon, I don't think I'd be as motivated.

As I mentioned in my previous post, a member a the Y asked me to participate. I didn't go into a great amount of detail then because I didn't have details and, quite frankly, I hadn't paid my registration fee so I was worried I might chicken out. Now that the money's in and I'm deep into training, I'll fill you in.
Ted Murphy, a member at my Y, has Stage IV melanoma (meaning it has spread around his body), and his family has started an effort to raise money to support research. You can see their website, and read their story at http://www.gotohellmel.org/. Ted and his wife Stacy will be running the half-marathon with me and I look forward to the fellowship and laughs along the way.

I couldn't post this without a simple request. If you are able, please consider donating to the nonprofit organization Melanoma Research Foundation (http://www.mrf.org/).

If you choose to give, please do the following:

1. Go to http://www.gotohellmel.org/
2. Click on the “Donate” tab at the top of the home page.
3. Follow the instructions on that page. Please do note that when you are filling out the online donation form to indicate in the “Your Comment” field that you are donating the money to support my participation in the race.
There is also a post-race fundraiser taking place on November 7th. You can get more information about the
event at GoToHellMel.org by clicking on the "Post-Event Party" tab.

Cancer is a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad disease in any form. If you're able, I hope you'll support us
as we put one foot in front of the other towards the finish line.

Thanks for reading. Email me (ryanjeves@gmail.com) if you have any questions or want to get involved!

Ryan


No comments:

Post a Comment